There are currently more than 10+ Roles and 15 certifications for the Microsoft Azure. We will discuss each one in detail and continuously update this particular blog article. Azure certifications are currently tested for the following different roles.
- Azure Fundamentals
- Azure Administrator
- Azure AI (Artificial Intelligence Engineer)
- Azure Data Engineer
- Azure Data Scientists
- Azure Database Administrator
- Azure DevOps Engineer
- Azure Developer
- Azure Security Engineer
- Azure Solution Architect
- SAP Workload Specialty
Hence, based on your current profile (if you are already working professional) you need to choose respective certifications and if you are just starting your career then you need to decide the path/role and choose the certification accordingly. Each role could have one or more than one certification. Lets discuss for each role which certification exam should be considered.
Cost: Most of the individual certification for the Microsoft Azure are currently having fee around $165
- 1. Administrator Role Certification (Role: Administrator)
- AZ-103: Microsoft Azure Administrator Associate, in this certification exam you are tested for the implementing, monitoring, and ,maintaining various services and solution which include compute, storage, network, and security.
- 2. Azure AI Engineer Associate (Role: AI Engineer )
- AI-100: Azure AI Engineer Associate, as of now there is only one certification. Skill sets tested under this certifications are Cognitive Services, Machine Learning, implementing MS AI solutions which involves the NLP, Speech, Computer Vision, Bots, and Agents.
- 3. Azure Data Engineer Associate (Role: Data Engineer): To achieve Data Engineer Associate (title) you have to clear two different certification exams as below.
- DP-200: Implementing an Azure Data Solution this exam is more of implementation perspective for the below Azure Services and solution (Which are same for both DP-200 & DP-201)
- DP-201: Designing an Azure Data Solution, in this exam candidate has to know about the Azure Services, CosmosDB, SQL Databases, Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Lake Storage, Data Factory, Stream Analytics, Azure Databricks, Azure Blob storage.
- 4. Azure Data Scientist Associate (Role: Data Scientist)
- DP-100: Designing and Implementing a Data Science Solution on Azure : This certification exam is different then the AI-100 exam. In this exam you should be having good knowledge about the Data Science and Machine Learning and able implement the same on the Azure with the services provided by the Azure.
- 5. Azure Database Administrator Associate (Role: Database Administrator)
- DP-300: Administrating Relational Databases on Microsoft Azure: This certification exam is more of the implementing operational aspects of cloud-native and hybrid data platform solutions using the Azure data services and SQL Server. You have to use the variety of the tools and platform, day-to-day operations and must have T-SQL knowledge.
- 6. Azure Devops Engineer Expert(Role: DevOps Engineer) : This is an expert level Role. And in this you have clear two certifications.
- Either of one
- AZ-103: Azure Administrator Associate: In this you have to implement, monitor, and maintain Azure Solutions, for the common services like compute, storage, network, security.
- AZ-204: Azure Developer Associate:You should be able to design, build, test and maintain cloud solutions for example applications, services and partnering with Cloud Solution Architects, Cloud DBAs, Cloud Administrators, and with the clients to implement these solutions.
- AZ-400: Azure DevOps Solution: You should be good at Azure Administration, Azure Development and having a good handsOn for the DevOps practices for version control, compliance, infrastructure as code, Configuration management, build, releases, and testing by using the Azure Technologies.
- Either of one
- 7. Azure Developer Associate (Role: Developer)
- 8. Azure IOT Developer Specialty (Role: Developer)
- AZ-220: Azure IOT Developer Specialty: In this case you have to prove that how you can implement the Azure services for IOT Solutions, which also include the data analysis, data processing, data storage options,. and platform-as-a-service options. You need to know how to configure settings within the code portion of an IOT solutions.
- 9. Azure Fundamentals (Role: Fundamentals)
- AZ-900: Certified Azure Fundamentals: In this certification exam you have to prove that you understand the cloud concepts, Azure Services, Azure pricing model, and support, also include the Cloud Security Concepts, privacy, compliance, trust etc.
- 10. Azure Security Engineer Associate (Role: Security Engineer)
- AZ-500: Azure Security Engineer Associate: You need to know how to implement security controls, threat protection, identity and access, protecting data, applications, and networks in cloud and hybrid env by having end-to-end infrastructure.
- 11. Azure Solution Architect Expert(Role : Administrator, Solution Architect): You need to clear below tow certifications to achieve this role.
- AZ-303: Azure Architect Technologies: You should be able to translate business requirements into secure, scalable, and reliable solutions. You must know the various aspects of the IT Operations, networking, virtualization, identity, security, business continuity, disaster recovery, data management, budgeting, and governance. Even it is expected that candidate is good in Azure Administration, Azure Development, DevOps etc.
- AZ-304: Azure Architect Design: It is more of the designing above skills on high level to low level.
- 12. Azure for SAP Workload Specialty (Role : Administrator, Solution Architect)
- AZ-102: Azure for SAP workload Specialty: This certification exam is for the learners or candidates who are already working in the SAS Landscape and should know how to leverage the Azure solution for SAP.
Microsoft want you to decide your learning path and follow the certifications and training accordingly. It would go in below order (there are some mandatory certification or exams to complete for the further certifications)
Fundamentals ⇒ Associate ⇒ Expert
However, there are some specialty certification as well, these are more of specializing in a particular skills on the cloud and in future you would see more certifications would be launched for the Specialty exam. And on regular basis you need to re-certify yourself as well, because technology always keep updating. However, re-certification is not mandatory, we have seen very few learners go for the re-certifications.
Microsoft Learn v/s Microsoft Certification
Microsoft is creating a single consolidated platform for the Learning Material (paid and free) as well as registering for certifications. Previously certification was having different website, which is now integrated into single website which is known as Microsoft Learn.
Understanding the Certification Levels
Microsoft also has defined the level of expertise based on the certification you have cleared. There are following 5 levels of expertise currently exists.